Thursday, August 08, 2002

Crown Jewels
Someone left a copy of Frank Sheed's Theology and Sanity on the free book shelf at the library here. I couldn't believe that anyone would willingly give up a copy of this gem! That would be like seeing the Crown Jewels on a bargain table in front of Buckingham Palace! Well, now I have two copies, so can start a 'scussion group with my kids.
My first encounter with Sheed was reading Society and Sanity. It is a great presentation of Catholic social teachings as they had developed at that time (1950s? Chris, is that right?) Chris is my Sheed scholar friend. Anyway, the one thing I remember about the book was that Sheed made the case that the duty to vote is not necessarily a universal one. There may be people who exercise their civic responsibility in a different way. As a matter of fact, their way of life may be such that they are too ignorant of current events and issues to responsibly vote. I can't remember if he gave any examples, but it was a point well made that has stuck with me. I still vote, though.

No comments: